Research and Study Help
The resources listed below can help with research, information evaluation, writing papers, citing and documenting sources, and study and test-taking skills. Off-campus access to RPCC Library resources will require login; see How to Access RPCC Library Resources for help as needed.
- Conducting Research and Evaluating Information
- Writing Help
- Citation and Style Guides
- Study and Test-Taking Skills
Conducting Research and Evaluating Information
- Evaluating Online Information and Sources, 2014
- Expert Internet Searching, 2017
- How to Find Information: A Guide for Researchers, 2nd ed., 2008
- Information Literacy: Search Strategies, Tools & Resources ..., 2nd ed., 2008
- Information Pathways : A Problem-Solving Approach to Information Literacy, 2010
- Research Methodology in Arts, Science and Humanities, 2019
- The Oxford Guide to Library Research, 4th ed., 2015
- Web of Deceit : Misinformation and Manipulation in the Age of Social Media, 2012
The following resources can guide students in the research process. Some may even include citation and documentation guides or generators, or plagiarism checkers! Note that some sites may include ads and/or offer premium services.
- Evaluating Information on the Internet from Santiago Canyon College Library
- Purdue Online Writing Lab
- Online Guide to Writing and Research from U. of Maryland Global Campus
- Scribbr - Starting the Research Process
The following books may be found in the Library:
- The Bedford Guide to the Research Process, 3rd edition. Call number: LB 2369 .J56 1997.
- Bookmarks: a Guide to Research and Writing, 3rd edition. Call number: LB 2369 .R88 2006.
- Handbook for College Research, 3rd edition. Call number: LB 2369 .P425 2005.
- Research Strategies: Finding Your Way through the Information Fog, 4th edition. Call number: Z 710 .B23 2011.
- Writing Research Papers: A Complete Guide, 11th edition. Call number: LB 2369 .L4 2005
- McGraw-Hill's Concise Guide to Writing Research Papers, 2010
- A Student's Writing Guide : How to Plan and Write Successful Essays, 2009
- Shortcuts for the Student Writer, 2005
- Strategies for Essay Writing, Harvard College Writing Center
- UW-Madison Writer’s Handbook
- How to Write a Research paper - Scribbr
The following books may be found in the Library:
- Common Errors in English Usage, 2nd edition. Call number: PE 1464 .B75 2009
- Easy Writing Skills Step-by-step. Call number: PE 1408 .L66 2012
- Handbook for Writers, 8th edition. Call number: PE 1408 .T696 2007.
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Misspelled and Easily Confused Words. Call number: P 2817 .M38 2006 REF
- Rules for Writers, 7th edition. Call number: PE 1408 .H277 2012.
Citation and Style Guides: APA, MLA, and more!
Try these resources to develop your references and works cited lists. Some offer forms to create citations. Be sure to compare your results from these sources with the appropriate manual for accuracy.
MLA: Modern Language Association
MLA has recently released the latest edition of its Handbook (9th, 2021). While many of the RPCC Library's databases include citation, some may not have updated to the latest edition. Be sure to consult with each instructor regarding which edition of the MLA Handbook should be used.
- MLA Style Center
- MLA Handbook, 8th edition. Call number: LB 2369 .G53 2016
- MLA Documentation Guide (UW-Madison The Writing Center)
- MLA Handbook, 9th edition. Coming soon!
- Purdue OWL: MLA Style (9th edition)
APA: American Psychological Association
The APA has recently released the latest edition of its Publication Manual (7th, 2020). While many of the RPCC Library's databases include citations, these platforms may not have updated to the latest edition. In addition, citation generators may also be an edition behind. Be sure to consult with each instructor regarding which edition of the APA Publication manual should be used.
- APA Style from the American Psychological Association
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Edition, 2010. Call number: BF 76.7 .P83 2010
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 7th Edition, 2020. Coming soon!
- Purdue OWL: APA Style (7th edition)
Chicago Manual of Style
- The Chicago manual of Style, 16th edition. The official print manual. Call number: Z 253 .U69 2010
- OWL: Purdue Online Writing Lab, Chicago Manual of Style. Based on the 17th edition. Includes a lot of other resources, too.
- UW-Madison Writer’s Handbook: Chicago/Turabian Documentation from The Writing Center @ The University of Wisconsin – Madison; based on the 17th Edition
- The Complete Guide to Referencing and Avoiding Plagiarism, 2nd Edition, 2010, by Colin Neville
Online Citation Tools
- Citation Machine, is a tool that can help you format your citations based on MLA (7th or 8th editions), APA, or Chicago style guides.
- EasyBib, offers citation generation for MLA7, MLA8, APA, and more.
- KnightCite Citation Service, from The Hekman Library at Calvin College, can build citations for MLA 8th ed., APA 6th ed., and Chicago 16th ed.
Study and Test-Taking Skills
- The New Science of Learning : How to Learn in Harmony With Your Brain
- How to Take Better Notes from College Info Geek
- Studying and Test Taking
- Study Skills Strategies : Get the Most From Every Minute of Learning
- Teach Yourself How to Learn : Strategies You Can Use to Ace Any Course at Any Level
- LearningExpress PrepSTEP (RPCC Library resource)
- Homework Louisiana
- Study Skills for Students from Education Corner
- 10 Steps To Ace Your Next Test (Princeton Review)
- Test Taking Strategies from Education Corner
- How to Study and Other Skills for Success in College, 5th edition. Call number: LB 2395 .M595 2003
- Striving for Excellence in College: Tips for Active Learning, 2nd edition. Call number: LB 2395 .B77 2001
- Test-taking Strategies Call number: LB 3060.57 .K36 2003